BT 03 Feb 2020
Firms may get interim help ahead of Budget virus support package: Lawrence Wong
Prior to the announcement of the Budget for 2020, Minister for National Development Lawrence Wong, co-chair of the multi-ministry taskforce on the novel coronavirus said that the government will establish measures to assist firms affected by the Wuhan virus.
The Singapore Tourism Board (STB) has already announced to shoulder half of cleaning and disinfection costs for hotels with suspected cases.
Other measures to be implemented include:
- providing quarantine allowance
- supporting affected workers and protect their livelihoods
- providing ComCare financial assistance and social support to those in need
- supporting sectors such as tourism and transport and related industries and firms, that are directly hit by the virus
- considering taking action against irresponsible behaviors, such as landlords who evict Chinese tenants who are on their leave of absence